Frequently asked questions and answers about how to care for your car this winter
When winter weather hits, maintaining your car with the help of a trusted auto repair shop is essential for safety on Pennsylvania roads.
As a top-ranked auto repair shop conveniently located in West Chester and Exton, PA, our team of certified technicians is here to winterize your car and ensure you have all the information you need to keep your car running this winter. With reasonable prices and a focus on customer satisfaction, you can trust our certified mechanics to do a great job with your vehicles.
After many years of experience, we know what is on your mind when it comes to questions about your winter car care. Here are some frequently asked questions:
1. Why are seasonal auto repair checkups important?
It is always a good idea to schedule routine maintenance check-ups for your vehicles to keep them running smoothly. This approach actually saves you money in the long run. Taking care of minor issues now can prevent larger, more expensive problems later on. It is especially important to get pre-winter inspections to make sure your vehicles are ready for the cold weather.
Getting a pre-winter inspection is one of our popular services, as people prepare to brave any winter weather. When you come in for a winter inspection, we will make sure to check your tires, fluid levels, brakes, lights, battery and more. You can schedule an appointment easily online and bring your car to our PA auto repair shop in Exton and West Chester.
2. What parts of your car should get extra attention at your auto repair shop?
Just like any other machine, your vehicle needs some extra attention during the winter months. Cold weather can impact how your car preforms, specifically your:
- Tires: It is important to make sure your tires have enough tread to handle snowy or icy conditions. You may also want to consider switching to winter tires for added safety.
- Battery: Cold temperatures can be tough on your car battery. To make sure you are prepared for winter, we will test your battery and confirm it is in working condition and there is no corrosion or other issues.
- Fluid Levels: There are several different fluids in your car to keep your engine running smoothly. But colder temperatures can impact those fluids. We will check your oil, antifreeze, power steering, windshield wiper fluid and more to ensure you have the right levels in your vehicles.
- Lights: Make sure your vehicle lights are working correctly for maximum visibility during shorter days.
3. How often should you change your oil in the winter?
It is always important to stay on top of regular oil changes, no matter the season. During the winter months, some mechanics suggest using a thinner oil if temperatures frequently drop below freezing. Make sure to follow the guidelines provided by your vehicle’s manufacturer for optimal performance.
4. How can drivers keep their car safe in the winter?
During the winter months, taking small steps to care for your car can make a big difference. For example, warming up the engine for a few minutes before driving, washing the car regularly to remove road salt, and keeping the fuel tank at least half full to prevent water from freezing in the fuel lines are all important.
With routine maintenance and ongoing service, our professional mechanics can confirm that your vehicle is safe and ready for whatever winter weather comes our way!
5. How can we get the best visibility during snow conditions?
In order to drive safely, having good visibility is essential, especially during the winter season. It is important to ensure that your vehicle’s lights are in good working condition, the wipers are in good condition, and the windshield washer tank is filled with freeze-resistant fluid. Applying water-repellent material to your windshield is also a good idea. This will help to ensure that your windshield remains clear and free of any obstructions while driving.
6. Why are winter tires important for your car?
If you are driving in areas with a lot of snow and ice, investing in winter tires can be a smart choice to give you peace of mind and extra safety in the winter. These tires have a special rubber compound that remains flexible in extremely cold temperatures, providing better traction than the typical all-season tires. They are designed to improve grip, performance, and safety in severe weather.
At Welsh Automotive, we can help you pick which winter-weather tires are best for your cars. We carry several different brands and different equipment for your tires.
7. What should you do if your car unexpectedly breaks down in the winter?
To ensure the safety and comfort of your drivers, consider putting together an emergency kit for your car. This kit should contain items like blankets, flashlights, snow shovels, and sand or cat litter for traction if stuck in snow. It is also helpful to have a trustworthy and honest recovery service to call if your car breaks down.
Auto Repair Services | West Chester, West Whiteland, West Goshen, East Bradford, Marshallton, Exton
At Welsh Automotive in Exton and West Chester, we are committed to fair prices and reliable auto repair services you can trust. As a family-owned business, we take our reputation seriously and want to provide the best repairs and maintenance, keeping our customer satisfaction central to it all.
This winter, make sure your cars are protected, safe and equipped to handle winter in Pennsylvania. Give our team a call or make an appointment online today to get the auto repair services you need.