Everyone knows the pit of dread that happens when suddenly your car breaks down on the side of the road. Dealing with a breakdown can be a scary situation, even if your car passed inspection or there were no warning signs that something was wrong.
Being equipped with an emergency roadside kit can help you stay safe and ensure you can get the help you need until you can get your car serviced at a local auto repair shop.
At Welsh Automotive Specialties, our auto repair shop is a family-owned business in West Chester and Exton, PA, where your safety and customer satisfaction are our top goals. If you break down, having some essential items in your car can help you prepare for unexpected roadside emergencies.
Keep reading to learn some useful tips on what to do if you need roadside assistance and how you can avoid these incidents from happening in the future.
Essential Items for Your Emergency Car Care Kit
It is always a good idea to have an emergency car kit ready with all the necessary tools and supplies. It can come in handy in case of any unexpected situations while driving, providing you with immediate help and peace of mind.
Here is what we recommend you include in your kit:
- First-Aid Kit: For minor injuries or in case of an accident, a first-aid kit with bandages, antiseptic wipes, pain relief medication, and a first aid guide is a necessity.
- Warning Triangles or Road Flares: These can allow other drivers to see your car more clearly, especially at night, and help prevent further accidents.
- Jumper Cables: Car batteries can fail without warning. Having jumper cables handy can help you get back on the road quickly.
- Flashlight with Extra Batteries: Stay safe with a flashlight if you break down after dark. Make sure to throw in extra batteries for a backup, too.
- Blanket: If you break down in cold weather, a blanket will help keep you warm while waiting for assistance.
- Food and Water: It is always a good idea to have some non-perishable snacks and bottled water in case your help is delayed or it takes several hours to reach you.
- Basic Tool Kit: Some minor car issues can be solved with a set of basic tools, including a wrench, pliers, and screwdriver.
- Phone Charger or Portable Battery Pack: Keeping your phone charged is crucial to communicating with rescuers and locating nearby help.
By getting this car emergency kit together, you can have peace of mind that if the worst-case scenario happens, you will be prepared with the right equipment to help you out of the situation.
Broke Down? Here is What to Follow
If you do find yourself broken down on the side of the road, you should follow a few basic safety protocols:
Move to the Side: If possible, move your car as far off the road as safely possible to avert traffic. Use your hazard lights and set out flares or warning triangles if you have them.
Call for Help: Let someone know about your situation. Call a family member, roadside assistance, or Welsh Automotive Specialties.
Stay safe inside your vehicle: Avoid wandering into the road or away from your vehicle. One of the safest places is to stay inside your vehicle until help arrives.
Your Key to Avoiding Roadside Breakdowns
At Welsh Automotive Specialties, we believe that prevention is one of the best ways to prevent breaking down on the side of the road. Regular preventive maintenance not only ensures your car is running smoothly, but it can also save you from unexpectedly breaking down on the road.
Let’s discuss some of the major areas you should focus on to prevent roadside issues.
1. Regular Oil Changes
Regular oil changes help keep your engine running smoothly and can significantly improve your vehicle’s lifespan. Make sure to follow your manufacturer’s guidance as it relates to how frequently you should get an oil change.
2. Tire Rotation and Maintenance:
To prevent unexpected blowouts while you are on the road, it is important to make sure your tires are inflated to the recommended pressure, rotated periodically to promote even wear, and replaced when they are worn down or damaged.
3. Brake Inspections:
Do not overlook your vehicle’s brake system. Regular brake inspections can help identify worn brake pads, leaks, or other issues in the early stages. Remember, functional brakes are crucial to your vehicle running safety on the road.
4. Battery Checks:
A total battery failure can leave you stranded. Regular battery checks, especially before long trips, can prevent sudden and unexpected breakdowns.
5. Regular Scheduled Services:
Each vehicle has a manufacturer-recommended service schedule. Adhering to this schedule and having a trusted mechanic inspect your vehicle regularly can identify any potential issues before they lead to major breakdowns.
At Welsh Automotive Specialties, we are here to help with all your auto repair needs. With our dedication to high-quality service, ASE-certified technicians, and reasonable prices, you can trust us for all your auto service and maintenance needs. Plus, we offer convenience in multiple locations and a free shuttle service or rental car to keep you moving along while your car gets repaired.
The Best Auto Repair Services & Car Inspection | West Chester, PA
Stay prepared and avoid getting stranded by taking care of your car with preventative maintenance and regular inspections.
At Welsh Automotive Specialties, we are here to provide quality care for your vehicle. From regular maintenance and repair services to more serious engine repair, we are here to keep you informed and prepared — on and off the roads.
Keep moving confidently with Welsh Automotive Specialties, knowing we have your back, now and always! Give us a call today to schedule an appointment.